4 July 2009

Pesto makes everything better/My favourite sandwich


Food processor older than I am + Fresh Basil = Delicious Pesto


I used Mark Bittman's recipe from How To Cook Everything but it is seriously easy beyond belief, just process basil, pinenuts or other nuts (I used walnuts), garlic and olive oil. You can also use cheese if you want but I don't like to.

Mostly I made this pesto because it is the basis for what I consider to be the perfect sandwich. There is a small chain I love in Toronto called Sandwich Box, which is basically high-end Subway. I actually really hate Subway. The smell as soon as you go in is so overpowering and if I'm paying for someone else to make my lunch I don't like making that many choices. You're supposed to be an 'artist', use your judgement. Also choosing between the soggy veggies/cold cuts is not all that appealing. But Sandwich Box...I dream about it. You pick a bread, a spread, and three toppings from meats, vegetables and cheeses. Of course you could always choose more. And we are not talking slimy chicken terriyaki and wilted lettuce. No, no, my friend. Would you like some roasted garlic and cumin aoili? On fresh-baked rye, foccacia? Some caramelized onions and portobellos on that? YEAH. AND they pack it up in the cutest box and serve it with a side salad, after seasoning and toasting your sandwich.

This is a recreation of the sandwich I almost always get, prosciutto, brie and pesto on a baguette. But what, isn't that only two toppings? I thought you said three. Yeah but I don't feel like veggies on this one, although I was kind of disappointed not to get my three toppings worth. Until I realized I could just ask for double the brie. This sandwich is also reminiscint of one of my favourites from Spain a couple summers ago, serrano ham (they do fucking incredible things with pigs there) and brie panini.


Prosciutto, brie and homemade pesto on sourdough instead of baguette.

P.S. I finally got a summer job! I start on Monday but will try to keep up.

No comments: