1 May 2010

Hot Docs, get your Hot Docs!

So in the chaos of finishing up papers, exams, starting a new job and moving out of dorms (where I have a real kitchen!), my blogging has fallen by the wayside. But that's all about to change! I seem to have misplaced my camera cord, but I assure you I have been cooking exciting things and will post all about them soon.

In the meantime, I will highlight some of the excellent gastrocentric documentaries on offer at Hot Docs through next Sunday in Toronto.

The Story of Furious Pete
follows the title character through his struggle with anorexia and subsequent rise as a competitive eating champion. Check out his youtube channel for a preview. His eating is incredible, revolting, and heartwarming. Yes, heartwarming. It's a really sweet film, a lot of it shot in Toronto and I would definitely recommend it (it's gone rush though, so line up early).

Candyman: The David Klein Story
traces the invention of the Jelly Belly, possibly my favourite candy (also Ronald Reagan's).

I cannot wait to see Kings of Pastry (screening with Seltzer Works, which is a neat short about the seltzer industry). 16 world class pastry chefs compete for France's prestigious Meilleur Ouvrier award.

Dish: Women, Waitressing, and the Art of Service tackles gender issues in the service industry, and because it sold out so quickly, a third screening has been added for Sunday the 9th.

These are only a handful of the great films playing over the next week and a half, and if you're in Toronto I urge you to check them out.

No comments: