27 September 2009

Shrimp primavera

This is a tasty and quick pasta dish that involves little equipment (pot, pan, knife and you're good) which is especially key away from home in a poorly equipped dorm kitchen. It comes from City Food, a collection of recipes from Halifax restaurants purchased sometime in the early nineties, I am guessing. The restaurant it is from, Silverspoon, is no longer in existance and I have only had the homemade version. Which is really good. We have this often, we have this with guests, I ask for this when I am home for a visit.

Also an anecdote about my earliest cooking exploits and an example of how ridiculous my dad is sometimes:

In grade 8 home economics we had a project to cook a meal for our family, do a write-up and have a parent give us a grade. Most kids made burgers, spaghetti, easy but totally legitimite things. I made guacamole, this shrimp primavera and apple crisp. And it was excellent. Everyone' else's parents gave them 10/10. My dad gave me 9.5, baffling my teacher. "There's always room for improvement," he said. And I suppose he's right.

Shrimp Primavera (serves 4)
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1/3 cup cooking oil
  • 1/2 lb- 1 lb deveined shrimp
  • 1 cup white vermouth
  • 2 tbsp finely chopped dried apricots
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper
  • 1/2 tsp rosemary
  • 1-2 red, yellow or orange peppers (I only used 1)
  • pasta for 4 people (I used linguine, up to you)
  • 1/4 cup snipped fresh parsley
  • 1/4 heavy cream (I am waddling towards obesity and went with close to 1 cup)
  • 1/2 mango, diced
Sauté minced garlic in oil in a large skillet for one minute. Stir in shrimp and cook until opaque. Remove shrimp and set aside.
Pour in vernmouth and simmer 5 minutes. Add apricots, lemon juice, rosemary, salt and pepper. simmer 5-10 minutes to reduce volume by half.
Meanwhile bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Stir in pasta and cook to desired texture (al dente, obviously). Drain well. Place in a very large bowl.
Immediately toss together: pasta, vermouth mixture, shrimp, strips of pepper, parsley and enough cream to coat the pasta. Garnish with chunks of mango. Serve immediately (although it also makes great leftovers)

No comments: